
Tuscaloosa (Osceola, Wyser's Bluff)
Tuscaloosa (also historically known as Wyser's Bluff and Osceola)
is a ghost town in northern Walker County, Texas, located approximately
12 miles north of Huntsville, the county seat, on the Trinity River
near the home of Samuel Calhoun. It was situated in the Jonathan S.
Collard Survey of 369 acres, about 2 miles upriver from the former town
of Cincinnati, in a rural area characterized by river bends, wooded
terrain, sandy-loam soils, and proximity to the Sam Houston National
Forest to the east. The region has a humid subtropical climate with hot
summers and mild winters. No remnants of the town exist today, and the
site remains unincorporated without formal boundaries, infrastructure,
or a post office (which operated briefly from 1858 to 1869). Utilities
like electricity are available along nearby roads such as State Highway
19, and any modern residents in the vicinity would attend schools in
Huntsville ISD.
Historically, the site was acquired by Gustavas A. Wyser in 1853,
initially called Wyser's Bluff due to its position on a big bend in the
Trinity River, which provided a natural landing for steamboats. It was
briefly known as Osceola, named after John C. Calhoun's plantation in
South Carolina. The community was renamed Tuscaloosa in honor of the
Alabama city from which many settlers originated. Settlement grew in
1853 when residents fled the yellow fever epidemic in nearby
Cincinnati. The town became Walker County's principal port and a busy
commercial center until the railroad's arrival in the 1870s diverted
trade. A post office operated from 1858 to 1869. Notable figures like
Sam Houston and Henderson Yoakum purchased land there, anticipating
success from the Trinity Mining and Development Company's lignite
mining operations, but the project was abandoned due to poor-quality
lignite. As the railroad bypassed the site, residents relocated to
nearby Riverside (founded at the railroad-river junction), leading to
Tuscaloosa's decline into a ghost town by the late 19th century. No
population data or specific businesses are recorded beyond its role in
river trade and mining attempts.
No dedicated Tuscaloosa Cemetery is listed in Walker County records. An
old, unnamed cemetery exists off to one side of the former town site,
with only a few tombstones remaining, likely containing graves of early
settlers from the 19th century. Comprehensive Walker County cemetery
inventories do not specify this site by name, but nearby burial grounds
in the northern area include Billingsley Cemetery, Mount Zion Cemetery
(in Galilee, with over 1,000 interments from the 19th century,
including Civil War veterans), or Harmony Cemetery (dating to the 1860s
with graves of early settlers). These may include interments related to
Tuscaloosa families, though no direct ties are documented.
Tuscaloosa in Walker County should not be confused with Tuscaloosa,
Alabama (a major city and county seat), or other unrelated sites. No
recent social media discussions or news events specific to Tuscaloosa,
TX, were identified, beyond occasional regional weather alerts for
northern Walker County, such as severe thunderstorms or flooding along
the Trinity River.
(Note: The statement that the town was "briefly known as Osceola,
named after John C. Calhoun's plantation in South Carolina." No
corroborating evidence was found in historical sources for this
specific naming association with Tuscaloosa, Texas. Other sites named
Osceola in Texas (e.g., in Hill County) are unrelated and typically
reference the Seminole leader.)
Founder of Tuscaloosa, Texas
Tuscaloosa, Texas, was a short-lived ghost town and river port
community in northern Walker County, approximately 12 miles north of
Huntsville on a bend of the Trinity River, within the Jonathan S.
Collard Survey. Established in 1853 by settlers fleeing a yellow fever
epidemic in the nearby town of Cincinnati, it was initially known as
Wyser's Bluff, then briefly Osceola (possibly after John C. Calhoun's
South Carolina plantation), before being renamed Tuscaloosa after the
Alabama city from which many settlers originated. It served as Walker
County's main port for steamboat trade until the 1870s, when railroads
led to its decline and abandonment in favor of nearby Riverside. No
remnants remain today, and the site is unincorporated with no post
office (which operated 1858–1869). An unsuccessful lignite mining
attempt occurred in the area. The community should not be confused with
Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
(Note: The statement that the town was "briefly known as Osceola,
named after John C. Calhoun's plantation in South Carolina." No
corroborating evidence was found in historical sources for this
specific naming association with Tuscaloosa, Texas. Other sites named
Osceola in Texas (e.g., in Hill County) are unrelated and typically
reference the Seminole leader.)
Gustavus Adolphus Wyser (also spelled Gustavas A. Wyser or Gustavus A.
Wyser): Born circa 1812 (likely in Alabama or earlier in North Carolina
based on family origins); died 1862 in Huntsville, Walker County,
Texas. He is buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Huntsville, Walker County,
Texas (Memorial ID: 53198117, added June 3, 2010). Wyser was a farmer
and hotelier who acquired one-half of the 369-acre Jonathan S. Collard
Survey property on the big bend of the Trinity River in 1853,
establishing the community initially known as Wyser's Bluff. He married
on March 4, 1837, to a woman born in Warren County, North Carolina
(name not specified in records, but she moved to Calvert, Texas, in the
early 1870s after his death and is buried in Calvert Cemetery,
Robertson County). They had at least five surviving sons, including
William Quincy Wyser (born 1847 in Eutaw, Greene County, Alabama; died
1895) and Addison D. "Ad" Wyser (born circa 1840 in Greene County,
Alabama; died May 28, 1882, in Robertson County, Texas). Wyser's
acquisition and settlement efforts mark him as the primary founder,
drawing settlers from Alabama and facilitating the town's role as a
commercial river port.
Known Early Residents: Historical records for Tuscaloosa are sparse, as
it was a small, ephemeral settlement without detailed censuses or
business directories. Known early residents are primarily landowners
and figures associated with the site's development in the 1850s–1860s,
drawn from land surveys, mining ventures, and historical accounts. No
comprehensive list of settlers exists, but the following are
documented. Scans of local cemeteries (e.g., Mount Zion in Galilee,
Harmony, Oakwood in Huntsville, Calhoun in Pine Prairie, and Shepherd
Hill in nearby Montgomery County) via Find a Grave and other sources
did not yield additional named early residents directly tied to
Tuscaloosa, though these sites contain many 19th-century burials of
Walker County pioneers, including Civil War veterans and settlers. An
old, unnamed cemetery exists at the former town site with only a few
remaining tombstones, likely containing graves of unnamed early
settlers from the mid-1800s, but it is not documented on Find a Grave
or county inventories and has no identified burials.
Samuel Calhoun: Born 1788 in Abbeville County, South Carolina; died
September 9, 1871 (or 1875 in some accounts), in Walker County, Texas,
at age 83. He is buried in Calhoun Cemetery (a small family cemetery he
established), Pine Prairie, Walker County, Texas (Memorial ID:
52399276). Calhoun was a plantation owner whose home was near the
Tuscaloosa site on the Trinity River, where he operated a riverport,
ferry crossing, and sometimes a stage stop. He served as a
Captain/Commander of the Fifth Cavalry in Georgia during the War of
1812. Originally from South Carolina, he settled in the Republic of
Texas and became a locally known figure. Generations of his descendants
are buried in the Calhoun Cemetery, which includes unmarked graves
possibly from enslaved individuals or other early residents. His
obelisk-style gravestone was custom-made and shipped via steamboat on
the Trinity River.
Samuel Houston (also called Sam Houston): Born March 2, 1793, in
Rockbridge County, Virginia; died July 26, 1863, in Huntsville, Walker
County, Texas. He is buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Huntsville, Walker
County, Texas. Houston purchased one-half acre of land in Tuscaloosa,
anticipating success from the lignite mining operations by the Trinity
Mining and Development Company. A prominent Texas historical figure, he
was a key leader in the Texas Revolution, served as President of the
Republic of Texas, U.S. Senator, and Governor of Texas. He resided in
nearby Huntsville and had connections to other Walker County sites like
Shepherd's Valley. No direct residency in Tuscaloosa, but his land
ownership ties him to the early community.
Henderson King Yoakum: Born September 6, 1810, in Claiborne County,
Tennessee; died November 30, 1856, in Houston (or while attending court
in Huntsville). He is buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Huntsville, Walker
County, Texas. Yoakum purchased one-half acre of land in Tuscaloosa for
the mining venture. A historian, lawyer, and politician, he moved to
Huntsville in 1845, served in the Mexican-American War, and authored
the History of Texas (1855). He was a close friend of Sam Houston and
owned property in Shepherd's Valley. No direct residency in Tuscaloosa,
but his investment links him to the area.
Jonathan Stark Collard (also Jonathan S. Collard): Born August 30,
1807 (likely in Tennessee or Kentucky, son of Elijah Collard and Mary
Stark); died January 4, 1896, in Willis, Montgomery County, Texas. He
is buried in the Collard plot, Methodist section of Old Danville
Cemetery (now Shepherd Hill Cemetery), Shepherd Hill Road, about 5
miles north of Willis, Montgomery County, Texas (Memorial ID:
61063778). Collard was an early settler whose 369-acre land survey
(granted around 1835) formed the basis for Tuscaloosa's location. He
was a member of the Texas Veterans Association and lived in the
Republic of Texas era. Relatives include brother Captain Job Stark
Collard (1813–1867, buried in Walker County with a bronze plaque noting
his service) and son Johnathan Stark Collard (1837–1900, buried in
Oakwood Cemetery, Huntsville). His survey and presence tie him to the
area's origins.
No other specific early residents (e.g., business owners, church
leaders, or additional settlers) were identified in historical sources
or cemetery scans. Further details may be available in offline
resources like the Walker County Historical Commission's cemetery
inventories or the Walker County, Texas Cemeteries series (e.g., Volume
3, covering Huntsville-area sites).

Tuscaloosa is a ghost town in Walker County that was twelve miles north of Huntsville on the Trinity River near the home of Samuel Calhoun.
The area was included in the Jonathan S. Collard Survey of 369 acres.
In 1853 Gustavas A. Wyser acquired one-half of the property on the big
bend of the Trinity River. A community was settled by people fleeing the
1853 yellow fever epidemic in the river town of Cincinnati. It was
first called Wyser's Bluff and later Osceola for John C. Calhoun's
plantation in South Carolina. It was renamed Tuscaloosa in honor of the
Alabama hometown from which many of the citizens had come. The community
had a post office from 1858 to 1869. The site had a natural landing for
steamboats, and the community became the principle port for Walker
County. It was a busy commercial center until the railroad arrived. At
one time the Trinity Mining and Development Company organized operations
to mine lignite, but it was of poor quality, and the company abandoned
the project. Many residents moved to nearby Riverside, at the junction
of the railroad and river, when it was founded in the 1870s. TSHA
Excerpt from;
Early History Of Walker County, Texas
by John L. Baldwin
Chapter VII
Tuscaloosa
Tuscaloosa was located on the Trinity River about 2 miles up the river from
Cincinnati;. It was in the Jonathan Collard Survey of 369 acres.
Gustavas A Wyser acquired one half this property in 1853. After the title
to the land had been passed through several hands. Wyser's acreage was
located on a big bend in the Trinity, and made a good location for a
townsite. When Cincinnati was practically abandoned in 1853 because of the
yellow fever epidemic many of the people moved up to Wyser's Bluff, as
Tuscaloosa was called at that time. The town was probably named for
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, as settlers from that city were known to have come to
Walker County.
When the town was first settled, and then known as Osceola it was thought
that there were great possibilities for mining lignite. The Trinity Mining
and Development Company had visions of acquiring riches from this source.
Sam Houston, Henderson Yoakum, thinking well of such possibilities, each bought
one-half acre of land in the area. Nothing ever came of the project,
since, for some reason the mining company gave up the project. After the
coming of the railroad the town gradually dwindled away.
Tuscaloosa (also historically known as Wyser's Bluff and Osceola) is
a ghost town in northern Walker County, Texas, located approximately 12
miles north of Huntsville, the county seat, on the Trinity River near
the home of Samuel Calhoun. It was situated in the Jonathan S. Collard
Survey of 369 acres, about 2 miles upriver from the former town of
Cincinnati, in a rural area characterized by river bends, wooded
terrain, sandy-loam soils, and proximity to the Sam Houston National
Forest to the east. The region has a humid subtropical climate with hot
summers and mild winters. No remnants of the town exist today, and the
site remains unincorporated without formal boundaries, infrastructure,
or a post office (which operated briefly from 1858 to 1869). Utilities
like electricity are available along nearby roads such as State Highway
19, and any modern residents in the vicinity would attend schools in
Huntsville ISD.
Historically, the site was acquired by Gustavas A. Wyser in 1853,
initially called Wyser's Bluff due to its position on a big bend in the
Trinity River, which provided a natural landing for steamboats. It was
briefly known as Osceola, named after John C. Calhoun's plantation in
South Carolina. The community was renamed Tuscaloosa in honor of the
Alabama city from which many settlers originated. Settlement grew in
1853 when residents fled the yellow fever epidemic in nearby
Cincinnati. The town became Walker County's principal port and a busy
commercial center until the railroad's arrival in the 1870s diverted
trade. A post office operated from 1858 to 1869. Notable figures like
Sam Houston and Henderson Yoakum purchased land there, anticipating
success from the Trinity Mining and Development Company's lignite
mining operations, but the project was abandoned due to poor-quality
lignite. As the railroad bypassed the site, residents relocated to
nearby Riverside (founded at the railroad-river junction), leading to
Tuscaloosa's decline into a ghost town by the late 19th century. No
population data or specific businesses are recorded beyond its role in
river trade and mining attempts.
No dedicated Tuscaloosa Cemetery is listed in Walker County records. An
old, unnamed cemetery exists off to one side of the former town site,
with only a few tombstones remaining, likely containing graves of early
settlers from the 19th century. Comprehensive Walker County cemetery
inventories do not specify this site by name, but nearby burial grounds
in the northern area include Billingsley Cemetery, Mount Zion Cemetery
(in Galilee, with over 1,000 interments from the 19th century,
including Civil War veterans), or Harmony Cemetery (dating to the 1860s
with graves of early settlers). These may include interments related to
Tuscaloosa families, though no direct ties are documented.
Tuscaloosa in Walker County should not be confused with Tuscaloosa,
Alabama (a major city and county seat), or other unrelated sites. No
recent social media discussions or news events specific to Tuscaloosa,
TX, were identified, beyond occasional regional weather alerts for
northern Walker County, such as severe thunderstorms or flooding along
the Trinity River.
Texas State Historical Association
https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/tuscaloosa-tx
Texas Escapes
http://www.texasescapes.com/EastTexasTowns/Tuscaloosa-Texas.htm
TX Almanac
https://www.texasalmanac.com/places/tuscaloosa-0
Study the Past
https://www.studythepast.com/ghostwebsite/walkercountyghosttowns.htm